Ubuntu MATE has a number of guiding objectives and goals.
· Accessible to all, regardless of language and physical ability.
· Increase both Ubuntu and MATE Desktop user adoption.
· Ubuntu alternative for computers that aren't powerful enough to run a composited desktop.
· First choice Ubuntu platform for remote workstation solutions such as LTSP and X2Go.
· Recreate the halcyon days of Ubuntu for users who prefer a traditional desktop metaphor.
· Use themes and artwork similar to Ubuntu so that Ubuntu MATE is immediately familiar.
· When possible contribute to Debian so both the Debian and Ubuntu communities benefit.
· Software selection will favour functionality and stability over lightness and whimsy.